Super Bowl Chicken Nachos
Super Bowl XLIX is February 1st this year, but that doesn’t mean you have to break your New Year’s resolution to eat healthy.
* 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, organic and antibiotic-free
* Thai Chili Sauce (see recipe below)
* ¼ cup chopped green onions
* ½ cup chopped avocado
* Tortilla chips - I recommend the brand Way Better Snacks and either the Black Bean or Sweet Potato Organic Sprouted Tortilla Chips because they're tasty and add great flavor.
Rinse chicken breasts with cold water and pat dry. Place breasts in small casserole dish, so they are just touching each other and the side of the container. Pour Thai Chili Sauce (recipe below) over chicken, reserving 2 tablespoons. Cover tightly with lid or aluminum foil. Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 50 minutes. Remove chicken from oven and let cool 20 minutes. Then remove chicken from dish and chop into small diced pieces. (Chop small enough to top nacho chips!) On a large platter, spread chips in one layer. Heat the reserved Thai Chili Sauce. Mix chicken and sauce together until chicken is moist. Evenly place spoonfuls of the chicken and sauce mixture onto chips. Sprinkle with chopped green onions and avocado. Serve warm.
Thai Chili Sauce
• 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar
• 1/2 cup honey or agave
* 1 cup water
• 2 tsp fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
* 1 Tbsp fresh hot chili pepper (or jalapeño), chopped very fine
• 1 Tbsp dried crushed red pepper
• 1 tsp (approx. 1-2 cloves) fresh garlic, crushed and chopped
• 2-3 tsp tapioca starch (or whatever thickener you prefer)
Mix vinegar, honey and water in a medium pot; bring to a boil, stirring to blend ingredients. Reduce heat and add the ginger, chili pepper, dried red pepper, and garlic. Stir well. Simmer 4 minutes. In a separate bowl, mix the tapioca starch with ½ teaspoon water, stir well. Slowly add the tapioca/water mixture to the ingredients in the pot, stirring constantly to avoid lumping. Remove from heat and let cool.
The Ultimate Guide to Shopping for Clean Food in the Market
This FREE guide will step you through the process of conscious shopping and healthy eating. You will be armed with the knowledge to be a smart food consumer!