April 8, 2018: Gym Bag Essentials
This week, we’re talking about the gym bag essentials you need to be ready during and after your workout. Certainly, your idea of essentials from this list depends on your gym/studio amenities and the type of exercise you do.
- ID or gym membership card
- Workout top
- Workout bottoms
- Sports bra
- Light long sleeve shirt or hoodie
- Hair ties (always have about 5 more than you think you’ll ever need)
- Pre-wrap/athletic tape/appropriate brace
- Heart rate monitor
- Water bottle
- Sweat towel
- Phone/iPod/MP3 player and headphones
- Swimsuit, swim goggles/accessories
- Yoga mat and props
- Body wash
- Shower flip flops
- Cleansing wipes for face and body
- Dry shampoo
- Easy makeup
- Travel-size toothpaste and toothbrush
- Spare contact lenses and solution
- Dirty clothes bag or a plastic bag for wet clothes/swimsuit
- Extra undies
- Bath towel
Other What-Not and Stuff
- Extra pair of shoelaces
- Small package of tissues
- Emergency cash
- Protein bars and quick energy food (see next week’s GYSTS email for snack ideas)
- Hand sanitizer
- Lip balm
- Small padlock if your gym doesn’t have locking lockers
What’s in My Bag?
I’m a woman of many athletic interests, so my bag has all sorts of strange stuff. I’m sporty Mary Poppins. Besides many of the essentials above, I also have:
- Grippy socks for barre class
- 1-2 pairs of extra gym socks
- Yoga mat cleaner
- Lavender eye pillow for savasana time in yoga
- Kickboxing gloves
- Lacrosse ball (for working out knots in my back)
- Ice skating essentials: towel for drying my blades, quarters for the lockers, ice rink pass punch card
I keep a yoga mat, block, and wheel as well as ice skates and a tennis racket in my car’s trunk. I mean, why not? A yoga or tennis emergency could break out at any moment!
Next Sunday, we’ll talk about smart snacks that you can have to stay energized - at home, work, or on-the-go.
Do you have a friend who could stand to G(her)ST? Feel free to forward this!
I hope you have a wonderful week,
Kelly Morgan, Ph.D.
Tsirona - www.tsirona.com
My weekly GYSTS email give you one actionable thing to do for the week that will make you life a little easier. As "they" say, "Fail to plan; plan to fail." Get these emails (and more!) delivered right to your inbox by clicking HERE.