May 13, 2018: Happy Feet
This week, we’re talking about keeping your feet healthy and feeling great as you get more active. We’ll start with some know-how for your athletic shoes, and then I’ll give you some awesome ways to relieve foot pain and revive tired tootsies.
In general, you should wear shoes designed for the type of activity you’re doing, like running, cross-training, or walking. This is because they offer specific support that’s appropriate for how you move in that type of activity. No matter what type of shoe you wear, you should replace them every 300-500 miles or 6-12 months. Try writing the date you start using them in Sharpie on the shoe tongue so you can keep track.
You can give new life to your shoes, if they are with those limits, by replacing the insole. You can buy new ones at any sports store!
Strengthening Your Feet, Toes, and Ankles
We’re hard on our feet. Torturing them in strappy sandals, chasing the kids barefoot on the driveway, running in old sneakers… We depend on those feet to get us around. Strengthening your feet, toes, and ankles will some simple yoga moves not only keeps you going for miles, but it also gives your whole body a better foundation.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, weight equally distributed between both feet and in your toes and heels.
- Put your weight in your toes and raise up on them. Hold for 3 breaths.
- Come back to a neutral stance, equal weight.
- Shift your weight to the outsides of your feet, allowing your inside side of your feet to lift. Hold for 3 breaths.
- Come down to the floor on all fours in a table top position. Shift your hips back over your heels, straight back in a seated kneel to stretch the tops of your feet.
Relieving Tired Feet
Find a clean tennis ball that you can use on your feet. It’s best to do this in bare feet without socks so you don’t slip.
- Put the tennis ball under the middle of one foot. Allow some of your weight to sink into the ball to compress it. It will give a little, but it won’t squish completely.
- Roll the ball under the ball of your foot. Compress it.
- Roll the ball to your toes. Grab the ball with your toes and hold for 3 breaths. Relax your toes and repeat.
- Roll the ball back to your heel and compress it.
- Repeat on the other foot.
Next Sunday, we’ll move to your kitchen for a little late-spring cleaning.
Before I go, don't forget that all of my products are 25% off until May 31st! Use coupon code 25OFF on my Teachable site.
I've also done a complete freebie refresh. Head on over to my free stuff page to get your hands on my latest guides and tools.
Do you have a friend who could stand to G(her)ST? Feel free to forward this!
I hope you have a wonderful week,
Kelly Morgan, Ph.D.
Tsirona - www.tsirona.com
My weekly GYSTS email give you one actionable thing to do for the week that will make you life a little easier. As "they" say, "Fail to plan; plan to fail." Get these emails (and more!) delivered right to your inbox by clicking HERE.