Healthy Turkey Gravy
Just in time for the big day...here's a great-tasting, smooth turkey gravy -- without the flour, cornstarch or butter!
• ¼ - ½ cup water (depending on size of roasting pan)
• 1 16 oz. package of baby carrots
• 1 - 2 medium white or yellow onions, sliced
• 8 - 12 oz. low-sodium organic vegetable or chicken broth
• 1 - 2 Tbsp pickling spice
• 1 Tbsp black pepper
• 1 Tbsp sea salt
Line the bottom of your turkey roasting pan with one layer of the sliced onions. Place your prepared uncooked turkey on top of the onions. Toss the rest of the onions and the baby carrots all around the edges of the turkey. Fill the pan with water approximately one inch all the way around. Cover and cook turkey as directed. (If your instructions suggest removing the cover for the last portion of the cooking time, that’s fine. Just make sure the water has not reached the top of the roasting pan so it does not spill over.) Carefully remove the roasting pan from the oven and set it on the counter; remove the turkey and place it on a platter for further preparation according to your recipe/instructions. To make the gravy, pour one-quarter of the roasting pan’s water and juices into a blender; add half of the cooked carrots and onions. Blend on low until just chunky-smooth. Add 4 – 6 ounces of the broth and the pickling spice; add the remaining carrots and onions and blend until just smooth. Season with pepper and salt to taste. Pulse blender to desired consistency.
Note: May be cooked the day before, stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator, and heated on the stovetop before serving. (You may need to make two blender-fuls of gravy, following the above process, depending on the size of your turkey/roasting pan.)
Get My FREE 10 Keys to Healthy Eating Guide!
Confused about what to eat and what to avoid to live a healthier life? My FREE 10 Keys to Healthy Eating guide will show you:
- What to look for on food labels at the grocery store
- How to separate fact from fiction and beware of food hype
- How changing one common ingredient can help you lose weight, boost your energy, and prevent disease