Post-Holiday Recovery Soup
Okay, so you over-indulged last week. Or maybe you just regular-indulged. Either way, you can get back on track in a tasty way with this hearty chicken (or turkey) vegetable soup.
Makes (6 - 8 servings)
- 2 cups water
- 1 32-ounce box of low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, rinsed and patted dry (If you have leftover turkey, you can shred or cut it into bite-size pieces and add it to the soup during the last 15-20 minutes of cooking time) 1 pound organic baby carrots (or peel and chop carrots into one-inch pieces)
- 1 white onion, chopped into one- to two-inch slices 8 ounces raw baby spinach, rinsed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 jalapeño pepper, chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped fine
- ½ tsp each: dill, rosemary, oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 avocados, cut into bite-sized chunks
In a large soup pot, pour in water and chicken broth. Toss in all of the vegetables EXCEPT the avocado. Stir once and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes. Add chicken breasts (whole); if liquid does not cover chicken, add more water or broth to just cover breasts. Bring to a boil and boil for 5-10 minutes. Reduce heat to low, cover with tight-fitting lid, and simmer for two hours. Check after one hour to ensure broth is still covering chicken breasts. At two hours, stir and check for tenderness of chicken – it should fall apart easily when pulled with a fork. Add garlic and remaining spices; stir well and simmer 10 -15 minutes more. When done, use fork to tear chicken into bite-sized pieces.
To serve, scoop a serving-size of vegetables and chicken into a bowl; use a ladle to pour broth over vegetables and chicken. Add 2 -3 chunks of avocado to each bowl and serve. This is a hearty, healthy, post-holiday meal for lunch or dinner!
The Ultimate Guide to Shopping for Clean Food in the Market
This FREE guide will step you through the process of conscious shopping and healthy eating. You will be armed with the knowledge to be a smart food consumer!