Western Scramble with a Vegan Option
- 4 eggs, beaten (or 1 16-ounce package firm tofu)
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 3/4 cup finely chopped red pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped jalapeño pepper (or other pepper of your choice)
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp of fresh minced garlic OR 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Ground black pepper and kosher salt to taste
- 1 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 3 TBSP chopped green onions (about 2)
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
Egg version: Gently beat 4 eggs together in medium bowl until yolks are broken up and mixed well. Tofu version: Remove the tofu from its package and place tofu between 2 plates. Press to remove excess moisture. Place tofu in a medium bowl and mash well using a fork so you get a crumbly consistency.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and peppers and cook until soft, 3-4 minutes. Stir if needed to prevent sticking.
Sprinkle vegetables with the coriander, cumin, garlic, and salt and continue cooking until just incorporated and fragrant, 1 minute or so. Pour in the egg mixture or mashed tofu and add the turmeric (add 2 tablespoons water if using tofu), and cook until the mixture is warmed completely, 1-2 minutes. Remove from pan; garnish scramble with green onion and sliced avocado.
This is a great morning dish, and you can change it up with whatever ingredients you have on hand: mushrooms, pinto or black beans, even salsa!
Get My FREE 10 Keys to Healthy Eating Guide!
Confused about what to eat and what to avoid to live a healthier life? My FREE 10 Keys to Healthy Eating guide will show you:
- What to look for on food labels at the grocery store
- How to separate fact from fiction and beware of food hype
- How changing one common ingredient can help you lose weight, boost your energy, and prevent disease