How To Curb Carb Cravings
Most of us crave sweet or salty carb-rich food when we are feeling stressed. While will power and the easy availability of carbs has a lot to do with it, it's not the end of the story. You can blunt your cravings for carbs using the following tips:
- Eat at least 3 meals per day. These meals should be enjoyed at fairly regular intervals each day. Breakfast within 30 minutes to 1 hour after rising, lunch 3 to 4 hours later, and dinner 3 to 4 hours after that. A regularity to meal times keeps you from grazing or binge eating due to low blood sugar from a prolonged fast, and it's less stressful to have a routine!
- Eat breakfast everyday. The ideal time to break your overnight fast is within 30 minutes to 1 hour of rising. Eating protein, fat, and carbs at your first meal sets up your metabolism for the rest of the day. Numerous studies of show that breakfast eaters not only have higher intakes of key nutrients, but they are also less likely to be facing weight problems come middle age.
- Eat all food groups. No one food group is banned. That's right – carbs are not your nemesis. You can still enjoy carbs and meet your health and weight loss goals.
- Eat protein with every meal. Whether it's eggs or leftover dinner meat or a protein shake, make protein your first pick when your sit down to eat. This will help keep your blood sugar from crashing and your body calling out for a quick fix.
- Water, water, water. Do you have a water bottle? If not – GET ONE! And keep it with you at your desk or in the car. Like nutrients, the body likes to absorb water in manageable amounts throughout the day – not in one huge dump all at once. Sip through the day, especially if you struggle with fatigue that's making you want carbs.
- Choose healthy carbs. Fruit, sweet potatoes, large flakes oats, and quinoa are just a few of the many healthy carbs that release more slowly than carbs containing white flour or sugar. If you need a carb fix choose healthy carbs to indulge in.
- Try cinnamon. Studies show that this naturally sweet spice can help keep blood sugar stable and this is good news if you crave carbs. Sprinkle some on your breakfast or try it in your cup of coffee.
Remember, carbs are necessary for your health! Choose healthy ones and make them a part of a balanced diet.
Get My FREE Boost Your Energy in 3 Simple Steps Guide!
Discover 3 surefire ways to boost your energy now in my FREE Boost Your Energy in 3 Simple Steps guide! You’ll learn:
- Why your morning ritual could be the #1 thing that’s making you tired
- Why your cravings can actually help you have more energy
- How doing what your parents told you as a kid will help you get more energy now
- A proven method to boost your energy instantly - anytime, anywhere
- How to avoid the 3 pm slump