Roasted Chicken and Roots with Apricot
- 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 beets, each cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 butternut squash, peeled & seeded, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 ½ TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup dried apricots
- 2 TBSP water
- Sea salt and pepper to taste (optional)
Heat oven to 450o. In a large glass bowl, stir cut vegetables with 2 TBSP of the olive oil. Pour prepared vegetables into a glass baking dish in a single layer; roast for 10 minutes (vegetables will not yet be all the way tender).
In a large pan on medium, heat the remaining olive oil (approx.. ½ TBSP); cook chicken on both sides, approximately 4 – 5 minutes each, until lightly brown. Remove from pan. Add the chicken to the vegetables in the glass baking dish; add the dried apricots and 2 TBSP water. Season lightly with salt and pepper if desired Cover with foil and roast chicken, vegetables and apricot together, 15 minutes. For the last 5 minutes, remove foil. Serve together, including cooking juices if you like. This is the ultimate Fall comfort food!
Get My FREE 10 Keys to Healthy Eating Guide!
Confused about what to eat and what to avoid to live a healthier life? My FREE 10 Keys to Healthy Eating guide will show you:
- What to look for on food labels at the grocery store
- How to separate fact from fiction and beware of food hype
- How changing one common ingredient can help you lose weight, boost your energy, and prevent disease