Kale, Escarole, White Bean, & Sweet Potato Soup
• 2 TBSP olive oil
• 1 small, finely chopped onion
• 6 garlic cloves, minced
• 2 leeks (white and light green parts) rinsed and chopped
• ½ bunch of washed and torn kale
• ½ bunch of washed and torn escarole
• 1 (15-oz.) can no-salt-added Cannellini beans rinsed and drained
• 1 small sweet potato OR 2 cups of butternut squash, peeled and chopped into small cubes
• 8 cups vegetable/chicken broth
• 2 fresh sprigs rosemary
• 2 fresh thyme sprigs
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place chopped sweet potato (or butternut squash) in a shallow roasting pan that has been sprayed with olive oil (I use an oil mister). Drizzle top of potatoes (or squash) with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt. Roast for about 20 minutes until soft.
On the stovetop, heat olive oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and leeks and sauté until the onions are translucent and fragrant. Add the kale and sauté about 2 minutes. Add the escarole and sauté another 2 minutes until the kale and escarole are both wilted. Add a pinch of salt. Add the broth and the beans and cover; simmer until the beans are heated through, about 5 minutes. Add the roasted sweet potatoes (or butternut squash). Season with rosemary and thyme, salt and pepper, to taste.
The Ultimate Guide to Shopping for Clean Food in the Market
This FREE guide will step you through the process of conscious shopping and healthy eating. You will be armed with the knowledge to be a smart food consumer!